I was knitting a pair of socks for my Sister for her Birthday. I finished the first one and for some reason I decided to weigh the finished sock and the remainder of the ball: 56g, 52g.
Crap! So I worked out approximately how many rows were in the sock and then how many rows shorter I needed to make the second sock. For safety's sake I added a couple more rows and decided to make the second sock 12 rows shorter. So I completed the second sock and if it were anyone but me, the one sock being about 2 cm longer than the other in the leg probably wouldn't have been a problem. But it is me and the socks were for a present, so something had to be done. There were two options at this stage: Frog the first sock back to the leg and remove 12 rows and reknit the heel/gusset/foot/toe, definitely a day or so's work and her Birthday was still 3 days away so definitely possible OR commit sock surgery, remove the offending rows and fix it all back together. Fast forward a couple of hours and my sister calls and asks if we can come to dinner that night. It was 2pm, dinner was set for 6.30pm. Not enough time for a frog and reknit. So sock surgery was required.
Take a deep breath, here we go!
I threaded my knitting needle through on the row I wanted to save and made sure I knew which way the yarn was running and CAREFULLY cut through a single strand half a round before the stitches I wanted to knit on from because I wanted enough yarn to be able to sew ends in, etc.
I carefully unthreaded the line of stitches.
Until the two pieces were separate. Big sigh of relief at this stage: no disasters, yet.
I unravelled the extra piece of sock back to the cuff and then had to make a decision. Do I reknit the cuff, it's 20 rows of 1x1 rib or do I graft the two pieces together. In the end I decided to graft, figuring that if it failed I could always yank out the graft and knit the cuff if I have to.
I placed the cuff inside the leg of the sock, holding the two sets of stitches parallel. I used the knitted Kitchener method to graft the two pieces together. I was lucky to have the 1x1 rib as the cuff, it didn't matter which way out to have the cuff. If the cuff was different on the inside and the outside, care would need to be taken to ensure it ended facing out the right way when the two pieces were joined. The round I joined was a knitting only row, so no tricky bits to get around.
Ta Da! Sock Surgery complete! I gave it to Jules to see if he could see where I had done it and he couldn't tell. I could, but I know what I'm looking for.
Here they are ready to go with a few little magnets I picked up at the Ivanhoe Makers Market last weekend.
They were gifted and tried on and fit in the foot nicely. They were a little loose around the ankle which was a surprise and if it becomes a problem I will endeavour to improve matters in that regard, somehow!
So successful sock surgery can now be added to the knitting bag of tricks :-)
Of course I am hoping I never have to do it again though!
Oh and just in case you wondering: the one on the top left is the leftovers from knitting the second sock. The one on the bottom right is the yarn removed from the longer sock. I am very carefully NOT going to measure them against each other :-)
Edited to fix the bad maths at the beginning: 32+36= 68g. It was a "100g" ball, so it had to have been 52 and 56g. Sorry cutting my knitting must have messed with my head!